Hair loss is mostly difficult to deal with especially to women who value their hair as a source of pride. This is a condition called alopecia where there is the partial or complete absence of hair where they should be. Most people seek treatment for hair loss and then for most it will regain its thickness while for others it may take a while. Hair grows in three different cycles whereby it has time to grow, time to stop and let the hair follicles shrink and then the process starts again. Hair growth is different in all women, and some will have long hair, others short and the growth time also varies with it being estimated that the hair grows about 6 inches per year for most people.
Each day, women lose about 50 to 100 strands of hair and about 250 strands if the hair is washed. It is normal for the hair loss as it ensures that new healthy hair does grow. However, some women experience much hair loss and at an alarming rate, and the it becomes thinner and eventually falls off leaving patches on the head. The loss of hair is noticeable when they comb it out, as it is left on the comb and is larger than the normal, or you could wake up and see a significant amount of it on your pillow.
It is good to get treatment for loss of hair so as to know the causative factors. Various reasons would cause the hair to fall out and the common causes include:
· Some medication taken will have an adverse effect on the body, and one of the effects includes hair loss. An example is the chemotherapy drugs used for cancer patients.
· Medical conditions will also affect the hormone levels in the body, hence they become imbalanced. Such as anemia, pregnancy, thyroid disorders polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), psoriasis and seborrhea dermatitis.
· Genes- if you have some relatives, such as a sister, mother or grandmother who have had this kind of problem, then it is likely for you to have hair loss. This condition is called androgenetic alopecia, and it is hereditary. It is a common condition for many women in the world, and it happens to women of different ages from the teenagers to the older women in their 50s and 60s. It happens that instead of the hair growing back healthier when it shades off, the new hair is much finer and thinner hence breaks off easily. The follicles will also shrink and with time hair stops growing.
· Infection on the scalp such as ringworms, where they attack the skin and hair on your scalp and cause scaly patches and loss of hair. If you get treatment, the hair grows back.
· Chemicals and hairstyles that women put on their head cause hair to fall off. The use of hot oil treatment will cause inflammation of the hair follicles hence hair loss. When you put excessive force while plaiting or tying your hair, it will cause traction alopecia.
· Physical trauma like intense illness or, accident or surgery
· Sudden loss of weight
· Taking too much vitamin A supplements.
Most of the above hair loss causes are irreversible, and once you seek treatment for hair loss, you are assured of a healthy hair growth and one of the treatments includes taking herbal supplements. The herbal supplements have various benefits to the scalp and hair follicles such as:
· Opening up the hair follicles and improve the blood circulation
· Soothe the scalp and get rid of any inflammation or infections
· Thicken the hair and also prevents split ends.
· Promote rapid hair growth.